Alarm Engine Support Forum Z-wave lights

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Dwight Barnes

I recently attempted to add a zwave light to a customer system. The light was added but came up as a type- Output. Nothing I did could change this. Any recommendations.

Michael Burrell

Dwight,

Thank you for utilizing our new platform. You are doing it correctly, currently any Zwave lighting device that doesnt have a dimmer option is viewed as an output by the Zwave controller. This is a result of how the Zwave classifications are listed for these “Non-Dimmable” Zwave lighting devices. Additional work needs to be completed to seperate these devices from output type devices. We are working to update this in the firmware and mobile app to allow these to be considered lights as well. At this time I do not have estimated date of release.

Thanks,

Mike

Dwight Barnes

Thanks Mike. Can you please respond to this post once the update is launched. Thanks in advance.

Dwight Barnes

Hello Mike,

following up on the classification of the Zwave module. I have two customers that I am aiming to use Z-wave lights at their installation. Can you provide an ETA on when we can anticipate this fix?

Dwight

Michael Burrell

Dwight,

Let me check with Engineering and I will update you on this.

Thanks,

Mike

Michael Burrell

Dwight,

I talked with engineering, and what seemed to be a simple change turns out to be much more in-depth as it touches several aspects of the system. It will affect the firmware, app, web portal, and cloud. I do not have a clear timeline since it impacts many parts of the system. However, I will continue to push this along as quickly as I can.

I apologize for any issues this may cause for you and your customer.

Thanks,

Mike

JOHN WADE

Mike,  This is just a display location issue.  Why not simply add a configuration choice of where to display this item in the app?  None of the underlying details need to be addressed.   Simply choose display as Lighting or Output.  Essentially an underlying link/macro/embedded programming.

Dwight Barnes

Mike, thanks for the response. I am keen to have this addressed soon. Keep me in the loop. I have it on a test system and can follow through to ensure its operation.

Dwight

Michael Burrell

Dwight – Thanks for your patience. I will update you as soon as I have an answer.

John – That is the plan, it just takes some adjustments to the control, the app, and the cloud. Currently, engineering followed the Z-Wave protocol specifically. There are two class indications used for Z-Wave devices that control lights/power: GENERIC_TYPE_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL and GENERIC_TYPE_SWITCH_BINARY. We reference each of these with a hex value. Based on the Z-Wave specification, engineering made the determination that multilevel devices are lights and binary devices are appliance-type devices or outputs. From feedback like Dwight’s, we are now aware this was an incorrect assumption, and it was added to the to-do list.

To remedy this, we will need to add an additional bit to the protocol that allows the installer to indicate to the control whether the Zwave binary device is a light or an output. The control will need to store that data and present it back to the app. The apps do not store configurations yet, but if they did, the control would still need to keep track of this information for when new apps connect. The app and cloud need to be updated to be able to set this bit/option. In addition, the app needs to display the proper UI for the user and send the proper commands to the control. Currently, all lights are dimmers. Even the toggle on the light page is a dimmer set to 0 or 100. The rules engine in the control also has to be updated, as we allow the writing of rules for lights. We will need to determine if the light can accept a variable setting, and so on.

It is all very doable, we just need to get it completed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Scroll to Top